Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What's In A Frame?


Putting the right frame on artwork can completely changes it’s identity and elevate it to the look of fine art. This small watercolor was done by my late mother-in-law, and for years my husband had it with a dark khaki matte and a basic thin frame, leaving it to sit in his office looking insignificant and very 80's. Recently, I needed a small piece of art for a tablescape and decided to give this little work a face lift. I re-matted it in a neutral off-white with a gold outline to allow the colors in the artwork to take center stage. Then I chose a heavy, carved frame that had a pattern of graceful strokes that repeated the line detail of the artwork itself, for emphasis. Choosing these new materials gave this simple botanical an updated look and a much greater sense of importance.