Friday, September 11, 2009

Vintage mirror

I use vintage looks whenever they suit a project. This master bathroom photo is of a newly remodeled home where we added a entire second story, utilizing 2,000 square feet of wasted attic space. This home sits on an 80-acre ranch south of Dallas where old west vintage décor fit the setting. In order to make the best use of the space dictated by the existing roof lines, we nestled this vanity under the sloped ceilings, giving the room character. To maximize the look, I wanted an old hinged three-piece dressing table mirror for this spot, that I would not be able to find new. But, whatever I used needed to blend with the two new matching mirrors that we were putting over the his and hers sink areas. I found this great old mirror buried at the back of an antique store in McKinney. It was a bright, shiny, and gold, but I loved the lines, the bevel, and the size, which was perfect for the space. My refinisher was able to make it match the new mirrors, and the client was thrilled with the results of mixing old with new.