Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Go Left At The Ugly Green Sofa


I found this antique art deco bar at a place in Kansas City called Cheap Antiques about 20 years ago. They had an unusual way of selling their furniture. Every Friday before their weekend sale, they would hold a furniture preview. You could walk in, see what you wanted and make notes for the next day. I wasn’t able to go to the preview, so a friend drew me a map of the art deco bar (go straight until the huge armoire, take a right at the butter churn…).

On the day of the sale, people lined up for hours before the store opened. While we waited, the sales people handed out several cards to each person. As soon as the doors opened, everyone made a mad dash to place a card on the furniture they wanted, and I raced in. Following the crazy directions, I found this perfect art deco bar.

Twenty years later I built an English Tudor home, but this beautiful bar is a timeless piece and blended with my décor perfectly. I added a few accessories, an interesting piece of art above it and now that bar is the focal point of the room.

So the next time grandma wants to pawn off one of her antiques, take it! It sure beats having to scramble around a store trying to claim a piece of furniture.