Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Turning Over A New Leaf In '09

Hello, my name is Melinda, and I am addicted to dishes. Whether it is Majolica, Spode, Mikasa, or Pier I, I admit I am powerless over my desire to own gorgeous ceramic ware. I buy dishes I don’t need just because they are beautiful. My cabinets tell the sordid tale. They are all stacked full of place settings. Four sets of china, six sets of stoneware, shelves of serving pieces and cache pots, old and new, stashed everywhere, and yet I keep buying. Not to mention all the special holiday dishes. Glazed pottery has taken over my life. I can't resist the urge to mix and match them all together, never doing the same look twice. The leaf pattern Majolica pieces, and myriad copies that I have, are just too easy to blend with all the other patterns that I have, tying the look of my tables together.

My New Year’s resolution for 2009 is to work on just admiring plates from afar, without giving in to the constant cravings to possess them. I rely on a power greater than myself, American Express, to help me stop this insanity.